Total and Average Task Work Based on Resource Effort
The given task key performance indicator measures task work (total and average) based on the effort one particular allocated resource or several resources put(s) into completing a task.
Work on a task differs from task duration. Work measures how much time it takes for a resource or group of resources to actually complete a task (often expressed in hours). Duration measures how much time in aggregate the assigned resource(s) should spend to complete a task (often expressed in days).
The formula to calculate Work based on Resource Efforts includes such values as Duration and Resource Efforts.
The value Resource Efforts is expressed as percentage. From the task perspective this value shows what percentage of his working time an assigned resource or group of resources can use to complete a task.
Here is a formula to calculate Work based on Resource Effort:
Work = Duration * Resource Effort
If during planning you know that Duration of a task should be 2 days and an assigned resource will work with 100% of Effort, Work is calculated as follows
2 days * 8 hours * 100% = 16 hours
If Duration is the same - 2 days, however, the assigned resource is able to devote only 50% of his capacity to complete the assigned task, Work is computed as follows
2 days * 8 hours * 50% = 8 hours
To measure total and average task Work based on Resource Effort follow the steps below:
- Add custom field “Duration” with Code “cf_duration” and the formula:
$finish - $start
- Add custom field “Resource Efforts” with Code “cf_resource_efforts” and Type “Float”
- Add custom field “Work” with Type “Duration” and the formula
(ToFloat($cf_duration) * $cf_resource_efforts) / 100
- To define total and average Work per particular project filter tasks by required project task group
- To see the total or average task Work over some period of time filter tasks by Date Range
- To see total task Work based on Resource Effort right click under column Work on task grid and select “Sum”
- To see average task Work based on Resource Effort right click under column “Work” and select “Avarage”